BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Gray67
Noob to the Bimmers but loving the ride
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Vert

Cell phone integration kit

I have a 2009 128i convertible with M sport package and BMW Assist. Right now I only have the USB/audio jack combo plug under my armrest. Inside my armrest are just a couple of pockets (shallow ones at that).

I'm interested in installing the cell phone connector kit so that I can hook up my iPhone4 (the cradle for those just came out). But what I can't seem to find are:

* the install instructions
* what parts I need (I know I need the cradle and a kit to plug the cradle into but I can't figure out what the part numbers are for the cradle plug-in kit)
* what exactly I'd be getting (would I be able to get bluetooth audio streaming via this kit?)

can anyone help? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
The current iPhone 4 cradle is for charging/Aerial extension only. (There will apparently be a music integration kit later on)

I have the 6NF with MusicConnect and the iPhone 4 cradle.

To get Bluetooth Phone capabilities you have to have the 6NF option fitted. This is a factory fit and I don't believe there's a retrofit available. The 2012 model would use the 6NR factory option which is an updated version that supports BMW Apps.

To check if you have the 6NF option open your center console armrest and see if there's a data jack that the cradle could plug into - it's about 2 inches long and sticking up out of the cavity where the cradle fits.

If you have that, you only need one part - the cradle - it just slots in.

At this point I don't think there are any BMW parts that do Bluetooth Audio Streaming.
      04-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

For the 135i, the build date must be prior to 3/09. If the car has BMW Assist, you can retro fit the integration kit and iPhone specific snap in adapter. The phone charges and uses the shark fin. If I remember correctly, the parts were around $250 and the dealer charged an hours labor for the install. The main advantage for me was the increased signal strength. Not having to remember to bring a charger when traveling was also a plus.
      04-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Gray67
Noob to the Bimmers but loving the ride
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Vert

crapola. thanks all. I really wish they'd make their parts descriptions easier to understand.
Appreciate 0