BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
jfj1336
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

BMW Performance vs Dinan Stage 1 Suspension

Any thoughts on price to performance ratio, or if anybody has had positive/negative feedback for one vs the other or if one is a better value than the other? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

It seems from what ive seen over the last few months people have been happy with both setups, obviously DINAN is an arm and a leg cost wise compared to the BMW perf. but I haven't really seen and direct comparison/feedback on someone experiencing both(would be nice to have though). I have a feeling the DINAN may a more aggressive susp. setup than the BMW but im no expert. I'm also debating between the 2...don't forget to add the install too if your not doing it urself since i know my DINAN rep had quoted about a Gnote for installation
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Speed Cat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I had the Dinan set up and it was great... No complaints at all... 100 times better then stock....

I switched to KW just to be a bit lower, but after spending almost $2500.00CND with the install i sometimes ask myself if that extra .5 to .75 in drop was worth that price... I dont really feel a big difference in feel..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Cat View Post
I had the Dinan set up and it was great... No complaints at all... 100 times better then stock....

I switched to KW just to be a bit lower, but after spending almost $2500.00CND with the install i sometimes ask myself if that extra .5 to .75 in drop was worth that price... I dont really feel a big difference in feel..
Maybe we 135i owners should file a class action suit against BMW for their deceptive practices. I never dreamt that I was going to need to spend $2500 replace the stock "M-tuned" suspension just to make the car safe at speeds greater than 60 mph. After owing it for about six months, I could not be less happy with the way this stock car drives--for all the well documented reasons seen in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

^^^Maybe you should test drive cars before you buy so you know what you are getting into.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
Maybe we 135i owners should file a class action suit against BMW for their deceptive practices. I never dreamt that I was going to need to spend $2500 replace the stock "M-tuned" suspension just to make the car safe at speeds greater than 60 mph. After owing it for about six months, I could not be less happy with the way this stock car drives--for all the well documented reasons seen in this forum.

Exaggerate much?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
The stock 135i most definitely does NOT have an M-Tuned suspension, nor is it advertised as such.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
wlm50
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i Sports Wagon

I drove the car before I bought it, and I knew the suspension was weak. So I also knew that I was going to have to spend $2500-$3000 to make it the way it should have been stock. I've had BMWs since 1977 (3 series and 5 series), and I really think BMW is making a mistake by not putting a better suspension under a car like the 135i coupe. This is the type of car you want to drive hard and take to the track. But I think it's borderline dangerous at high speed, it's not confidence inspiring as is, and I won't take it on a track for a DE event until I've done the suspension work. I think my 2000 540i with upgraded tires but stock suspension handled better than the 135i with the runflats (and the 540i was really quite excellent with a Dinan Stage 2 suspension - even though still too heavy). That said, once I put in the improved suspension (including rear subframe bushings), I expect the car will be what I would have hoped it would be at the beginning. And other than the suspension shortcomings, I like the car a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
gts135
German car nut
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135iM - Cashmere silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm50 View Post
That said, once I put in the improved suspension (including rear subframe bushings), I expect the car will be what I would have hoped it would be at the beginning. And other than the suspension shortcomings, I like the car a lot.
+1

So much that my Cayman is sitting in the garage a lot more than it used to. The 135 is just a fun car - not 'the best', but just fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm50 View Post
I drove the car before I bought it, and I knew the suspension was weak. So I also knew that I was going to have to spend $2500-$3000 to make it the way it should have been stock. I've had BMWs since 1977 (3 series and 5 series), and I really think BMW is making a mistake by not putting a better suspension under a car like the 135i coupe. This is the type of car you want to drive hard and take to the track. But I think it's borderline dangerous at high speed, it's not confidence inspiring as is, and I won't take it on a track for a DE event until I've done the suspension work. I think my 2000 540i with upgraded tires but stock suspension handled better than the 135i with the runflats (and the 540i was really quite excellent with a Dinan Stage 2 suspension - even though still too heavy). That said, once I put in the improved suspension (including rear subframe bushings), I expect the car will be what I would have hoped it would be at the beginning. And other than the suspension shortcomings, I like the car a lot.
amen brother
Appreciate 0