BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2024, 12:19 PM   #1
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Hood latch cable adjustment

E88

My hood latch cable rusted and seized. I took it apart and found that it was the piece that attached to the hood latch, not the release handle, so I replaced it.
Now I can't get the hood to stay shut. I think I know why but don't know how to fix it.

If I disconnect the cable at the plastic junction box the hood will latch.
If I reconnect the cable at the plastic junction box the hood doesn't latch because, I think, the cable from the release handle "isn't long enough". In other words, the release handle end of the cable doesn't pull through far enough for the hook on the latch to engage. I don't know a better way to explain it.

It is not a zip tie situation because that is only if the cable is stretched.

The latch itself is sprung and is under tension when open meaning when it closes it is sprung closed. Because the release handle end of cable won't pull through far enough it doesn't let the locking piece of the latch actually catch the other hook.(spring into place)

The latch springs are perfectly ok, the release handle springs straight back to it's staring place when I let go of it. The latch works fine but won't lock with the cable all connected.

Has anyone seen this before ?
      06-29-2024, 04:25 AM   #2
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [9.00]
Based on your description it sounds like the latch mechanism isnt returning back correctly. I would first attempt to get some brake cleaner and go to down in latch spring area, then spray it down good with some pbblaster it sound like make sure the every part of the latch mechanism is moving freely by hand and try it again.

The other issue might be:
if you pulled too hard on the hood release handle you could have broken it and it might be stuck in the wrong position as it's just a really cheap piece of thin plastic splines. You can double check easily enough by undoing the screw. Mine looked like it wasn't broken but the splines all folded over and make the latch stuck.
Appreciate 0