BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2024, 01:18 AM   #1
foxzie
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i E87

Hi there!
I’m quite new here and this is my first post so sorry if this is in the wrong section (I couldn’t find an e87 section in the mobile app).

I just got a 2006 e87 130i (pre-lci) and it came with xenon lights which are really nice to drive with. I noticed though that (as you can see in the image attached) they have a slight green tint to them. Is that what they’re meant to be like? I’ve also been wanting to replace the halo lights for some whiter (6000k) led ones anyway because to me the very yellow colour doesn’t look so nice, so it kinda works out that i replace ALL of them at the same time anyways (including the light indicated as 2 which is a regular halogen). Ideally I’d like all of them to be the same kelvin temp, but i’m kinda confused as to which lights i need to buy as there are so many different brands?

I was looking online and found that e87 pre-lci and lci have slightly different xenon lights? Like the pre-lci only has 1 xenon on each side (as shown in mine, only light 1 is xenon) vs the lci which has both lights 1 and 2 on each side being xenon i think, i may be wrong. Other than that are there any other differences? Obviously I don’t want to order the wrong set of either as they are a pretty penny as far as bulbs go (at least here in New Zealand) so if anyone could help shine a little light for me that’d be greatly appreciated! This would be the first time i’ve done anything to a bmw so it’s really fresh waters for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 07:49 AM   #2
jkho
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black MY09 E82 125i Coupe

Hey,
No expert here, but my 2cents -->

I'm not sure if E87 has the same bulbs as the E82/E88, but the socket types you need are as follows:
  • Xenons = D1S
  • Angel Eyes = H8

What color temperature you're after for each one?
Brightness important or more so the colour?

Xenons:
Info: https://www.bulbfacts.com/hid-oe/chart/
If you're after something more premium, these are/were popular:
  • Osram Xenarc Night Breaker Laser
  • Osram Cool Blue Intense (CBI)
  • Philips XtremeVision
  • Philips WhiteVision
Else you can pick up some more budget friendly ones (with more colour temp options) from Amazon/Ebay/AliExpress etc

Angel Eyes:
Are you looking to keep the Halogens or upgrade to LEDs?
Some info/photos here:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=2084660

If you wanna stick with Halogens, lemme know if you're keen on PIAA or GP Thunders (got photos), trying to offload.
Else for LEDs:
  • I recommend getting some budget compact bulbs... (if it's not CANBUS, you can code out AE Cold/Warm checks)
  • If you want something more premium and you think it's worth it; you could try LUX (dunno if they're still popular nowdays, but heaps of info here on these forums and there are videos on youTube).

Note: This post explains why the (inner vs outer) ring colours don't perfectly match sometimes -->
- https://www.babybmw.net/posts/1192411/
aka poor bmw design at the time
MY09 E82 125i M-sports --> | Black/Black | Rims: 18" 261s | 130i Tuned with BimmerLabs | Flowdesigns Splitter kit with front lip extensions | CF spoiler | CF M-Tech diffuser | Blacklines 63212225282 | Black Dual Slat Kidney | Xenons: D-Series 6000k LED | AE: NovSight 6000k LED |

Last edited by jkho; 06-30-2024 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0