BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #67
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
How is modifying my car breaking the law? Curious what you meant by that.
AFAIK you technically can't even change ride height in MA

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 07:59 AM   #68
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
You have no respect for? Well the vast majority have no respect for someone like yourself who defends street racing.

You really need us to explain why it is irresponsible? There are circumstances that you cant control, an animal jumping in front of you, irregular piece on the road surface, whatever.

I certainly would want anyone in my family sharing the road with someone with your attitude when it comes to road safety.

Grow up.

What prevents an animal from jumping out in front of you on a track?

Hell a piano may drop out of the sky in front of you on your way to work in the morning, which is about as likely as something happening in front of two cars going a blast to 60 or 70 MPH with an open road in front of them.

Can street racing be dangerous? Absolutely, and there are a hell of a lot of people who do it that should absolutely be jailed for it. It's the suggesting that it's dangerous ALWAYS that I'm taking issue with.

As I said earlier, it's just like questioning DUI laws. People get all worked up about it. You're making judgements based on emotion, not rationality. You've been brainwashed by politicians and the media to the point where you not only won't think for yourself, you won't even admit you're wrong when you're presented with the undeniable fact that a short race on that stretch of road I liked to earlier presents no real danger to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #69
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Every year, I have my car reinspected for emissions. It is required in Taxachusetts, as it is in many other states. They program in my car's year, make, and model, hook a scanner into my OBD port, stick a probe in my tailpipe, and do a fairly comprehensive set of tests. I am well within the federal guidelines for emissions for my car.

The only thing I may be blowing is my warranty, in my opinion.
That's state. I'm talking about Federal. The Clean Air Act of 1990 makes it illegal for individuals to alter anything that relates to the vehicle's emissions systems, and the ECU is clearly defined in the document as part of that system. If you're running a tune (and I'm pretty sure you are) you are absolutely breaking Federal laws.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #70
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I remember that vid of the Lambo douchebag doing 200+ at night on an Arizona highway. My second favorite part was when he passed another car and said, "I didn't know he was there. I didn't even see him". Then he laughs because it's so funny. But my very favorite was hearing a few weeks later that the police analyzed the vid and busted him. Sorry but I hope they never let him drive again.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #71
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

He was probably on the road the next day. The lambo dealer near me was testing a lp640 on the highway to 160 and got caught, in the back page of the paper in a 4" article and was back at work like nothing happened driving.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #72
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
A track is a controlled environment, fences etc. Far less likely an animal will venture on a track as compared to a highway.

Quote:
Hell a piano may drop out of the sky in front of you on your way to work in the morning, which is about as likely as something happening in front of two cars going a blast to 60 or 70 MPH with an open road in front of them.
The difference here is the piano is an unforeseen accident. Something happening during a street race is completely avoidable if you don't street race.

Quote:
Can street racing be dangerous? Absolutely, and there are a hell of a lot of people who do it that should absolutely be jailed for it. It's the suggesting that it's dangerous ALWAYS that I'm taking issue with.

As I said earlier, it's just like questioning DUI laws. People get all worked up about it. You're making judgements based on emotion, not rationality. You've been brainwashed by politicians and the media to the point where you not only won't think for yourself, you won't even admit you're wrong when you're presented with the undeniable fact that a short race on that stretch of road I liked to earlier presents no real danger to anyone.
The govt has to step in to protect the public and the idiots who rationalize street racing and dui can be safe in certain circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #73
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post

The govt has to step in to protect the public and the idiots who rationalize street racing and dui can be safe in certain circumstances.

Breaking the speed limit by 5MPH is dangerous in the Government's eyes as well. Please tell me you never do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #74
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:

Jeremy, I completely understand the point you're making, and I somewhat agree, in theory. Two adults that know how to control their vehicles (know, not think they know), understand the consequences of their actions, and are only willing to engage in an appropriate area are in the minority, unfortunately.

In reality, we're generally left with a bunch of kids driving like d-bags on roads populated with cars full of husbands, wives and children that want no part in vehicular dick swinging. They are unable to distinguish the difference between an appropriate and unappropriate time and place. Furthermore, their egos and need to gain acceptance or show superiority completely usurp any logical and coherent thought. You need to look no further than the numerous videos posted on this site and others that show triple digit speeds in moderate/heavy traffic to verify that.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #75
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Breaking the speed limit by 5MPH is dangerous in the Government's eyes as well. Please tell me you never do it.

Not sure what the penalties are in your area but street racing charges are far more severe then 'failing to observe the posted speed limit.'

Last edited by MrRoboto; 05-20-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #76
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
Jeremy, I completely understand the point you're making, and I somewhat agree, in theory. Two adults that know how to control their vehicles (know, not think they know), understand the consequences of their actions, and are only willing to engage in an appropriate area are in the minority, unfortunately.

In reality, we're generally left with a bunch of kids driving like d-bags on roads populated with cars full of husbands, wives and children that want no part in vehicular dick swinging. They are unable to distinguish the difference between an appropriate and unappropriate time and place. Furthermore, their egos and need to gain acceptance or show superiority completely usurp any logical and coherent thought. You need to look no further than the numerous videos posted on this site and others that show triple digit speeds in moderate/heavy traffic to verify that.

I agree that that's out there, but I'll just throw out the idea that those are the ones that get all the attention. The guys who are going out in the middle of nowhere and running their cars (and have been for decades) aren't generally posting youtube videos, and you're not reading about them because they're not running into someone.

There seems to be this idea that street racing was invented with The Fast and the Furious, but the reality is it's been going on since the invention of the automobile. The popularity in urban areas made it more dangerous, and attracted a much wider and less responsible audience, and the legislation and public backlash is an understandable result of that.

With that, I leave you (and the thread) with The Beach Boys.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1LiKpv-VfE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1LiKpv-VfE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #77
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

And back in the day they didn't so much mind drunk driving either.

Quote:
I agree that that's out there, but I'll just throw out the idea that those are the ones that get all the attention. The guys who are going out in the middle of nowhere and running their cars (and have been for decades) aren't generally posting youtube videos, and you're not reading about them because they're not running into someone.

There seems to be this idea that street racing was invented with The Fast and the Furious, but the reality is it's been going on since the invention of the automobile. The popularity in urban areas made it more dangerous, and attracted a much wider and less responsible audience, and the legislation and public backlash is an understandable result of that.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1LiKpv-VfE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1LiKpv-VfE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #78
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Gosh it is scary to see how many people have been brain washed to say that doing a pull to 130 is going to kill you. Aside from the odds that an accident will occur, a accident at 130 is not necessiarly deadly as long as you dont hit something head on. But the main point is likleyhood that an accident will occur. When is the last time you heard "F430 crashes" or some other high end car. The accidents are all kids in cars with bad brakes and suspension that dont know how to drive
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #79
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Gosh it is scary to see how many people have been brain washed to say that doing a pull to 130 is going to kill you. Aside from the odds that an accident will occur, a accident at 130 is not necessiarly deadly as long as you dont hit something head on. But the main point is likleyhood that an accident will occur. When is the last time you heard "F430 crashes" or some other high end car. The accidents are all kids in cars with bad brakes and suspension that dont know how to drive
1) at 130, the accident may not be deadly but the injuries are likley to be severe, even if not head on.

2) there are plenty of stories and pictures with high end exotics wrapped around trees, off the road, in half, you name it.

3) safety applies to both kids and 'adults'. there are plenty of cars on the road with bad brakes and suspension. (not sure what you define as bad, but i'll assume those requiring replacement as a starting point) the point is, all these hazards can be mitigated when travelling at lower speeds.

public roads (in the US) weren't engineered for speeds beyond whats posted as legal. when you do, youre putting yourself and/or someone else's life at risk.

to blame accidents on age and bad brakes and suspension is just irrational.

btw im only 22 and I plan on living a lot longer
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #80
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When is the last time you heard "F430 crashes" or some other high end car. The accidents are all kids in cars with bad brakes and suspension that dont know how to drive
Actually just last week. Corvette ZR1 single car accident. Killed driver and passenger. Just plain lost control. Not a kid. Better brakes than you or I have.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #81
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

I don't condone idiotic street racing but I am sorry if someone is buying a turbocharged 300HP+ car there is now way the max they are going to do is 5-10 over the speed limit at all times...and not do a nice pull from time to time(and if that happens to be with an open road ahead and a car next to them honking three times first so be it)...

With the power these cars have some smart(if it makes sense) street racing is bound to happen... Drag strips aren't always in close reach to everyone as well..

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #82
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Last week... and actually just as often as kids with cheaper cars.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...i-crash-1.html

I'll admit, I've gone over 100mph on the street many times, on a deserted road that was cleared by someone ahead of me (and notifying everyone it's clear in both directions) and guard rails on both sides. No chance of any other person on the road, no chance of an animal, and nothing on the road.... then again, that's 1 car at a time, no racing. If for some reason a car lost control, only the driver would be at risk, no one else, as it should be.

Last edited by MarkR171; 05-20-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #83
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #84
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
It must just be irresponsible americans, because I've done highway pulls on the autobahn against a GTR right in front of polizei and they don't do a thing. The autobahn has no speed limit and you can punch it as hard as you can. Even if your car does 220mph, no problem. But you don't see people dying right and left over in Germany do you? It's the drivers. Not the activity in general. Stoplights, ok, bad idea. But on an appropriate empty road, why not? Do most of you know Nurburgring is considered a TOLL ROAD? People have to police themselves. Blanketing street racing as 100% irresponsible is a little unfair. There is a HUGE difference in lining up at a stoplight in traffic and doing a highway pull with no other cars around.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #85
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
It must just be irresponsible americans, because I've done highway pulls on the autobahn against a GTR right in front of polizei and they don't do a thing. The autobahn has no speed limit and you can punch it as hard as you can. Even if your car does 220mph, no problem. But you don't see people dying right and left over in Germany do you? It's the drivers. Not the activity in general. Stoplights, ok, bad idea. But on an appropriate empty road, why not? Do most of you know Nurburgring is considered a TOLL ROAD? People have to police themselves. Blanketing street racing as 100% irresponsible is a little unfair. There is a HUGE difference in lining up at a stoplight in traffic and doing a highway pull with no other cars around.
I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much more difficult it is to get a license in Germany and how much better the quality of the average driver is over there.

Also, whenever anyone gets on the Autobahn, they know the deal. They know cars will be going very fast. The same is not true on US roads.

And yes, I agree there are degrees of badness in almost anything. So maybe a 10 or 15 second lonely highway pull is not so bad. I'm mainly concerned with the situation becoming dangerous for others. I would only argue that the street racing participant is hardly an unbiased observer, and not always impartial enough to define when the situation is truly safe, or able to honestly assess their own driving skills for that matter.

*EDIT: By the way, there was a story on these boards last week about a Lambo driver in Germany who lost control and killed himself and a passenger when he wrapped around a tree.

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 05-20-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #86
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Talk about timing. In today's Phoenix paper:

Scottsdale street-race fatality nets five-year prison term
by Jolie McCullough - May. 19, 2010 08:07 PM
The Arizona Republic

A Phoenix man was sentenced to five years in prison on Tuesday for his responsibility in a 2007 traffic case that killed a former Arizona legislator.
Robert Van Brakel, 45, of Phoenix, was street-racing with Travis Aronica, 28, of Canton, Mich., down Scottsdale Road near Eastwood Lane when his Mercedes sedan smashed into the car of 76-year-old Calvin Holman on the afternoon of Dec. 28, 2007. Aronica's car hit Holman's afterward.
Holman had served in the Legislature for 10 years, according to a news release from the Pinal County Attorney's Office.
Witnesses said Brakel and Aronica's cars were traveling at speeds above 100 mph. Holman was ejected from his car and thrown 75 feet.
Van Brakel pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to five years in prison, the release said.
Aronica received a sentence of three years of supervised probation after pleading guilty to two counts of endangerment.
The Pinal County Attorney's Office prosecuted the case because of a conflict of interest at the Maricopa County Attorney's Office.

Remember, there are always consequeces.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #87
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Is your defense really "an accident at 130 is not necessiarly deadly as long as you dont hit something head on?" Really? And your defense of the guy doing 160 in a Lambo is that he got away with it (ie, was back at work the next day)? Your almost pathological lack of a logical train of thought would be funny if it weren't so disconcerting.

I sincerely hope you're some kid in your parents' basement, because the idea that you might actually be a full-grown adult is worrisome.
      05-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #88
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Blanketing street racing as 100% irresponsible is a little unfair. .
If every road and highway were run the way the autobahn is operated, and if every country (and State) took steps to train drivers they way they do in Germany there might be room for a discussion.

The German autobahn network is patrolled by unmarked police cars and motorcycles equipped with video cameras; this allows the enforcement of laws (such as that against driving too close to the car in front) which are often viewed in other countries as difficult to prove in court. Notable laws include the following.
* Autobahns may only be used by powered vehicles that are designed to achieve a maximum speed exceeding 60 km/h.
* The right lane must be used when it is free (Rechtsfahrgebot) and the left lane is generally intended for passing maneuvers only; drivers using the left lane for prolonged periods of time when the other lanes are free can get fined by Autobahn police.
* Overtaking on the right (undertaking) is forbidden, except in traffic jams where it may be practiced with caution. The fact that the car overtaken is illegally occupying the left-hand lane is not an acceptable excuse; in such cases the police will routinely stop and fine both drivers.
* In a case of a traffic jam the drivers have to form an emergency lane to guarantee that emergency services can reach the scene of the accident. This lane has to be formed between the left lane and the lane next to the left lane.
* It is unlawful to stop for any reason except for emergencies and when unavoidable, like traffic jams or being involved in an accident. This includes stopping on emergency lanes. Running out of fuel is considered preventable and is consequently fined. In some cases it can also be a crime and the driver is given a prison sentence (up to 5 years).
reflection post

* The distance to the vehicle in front (in meters) should be at least half the speed (in km/h) at all times (e.g. at least 60 meters at 120 km/h). This corresponds to a "lead time" of just under 2 seconds. As a reference: The white-and-black reflection posts to the right have a distance of 50 m to each other. Again, the fact that the car in front is illegally occupying the left-hand lane when the right-hand lane is free does not excuse following too close.
*:Fines for tailgating have been increased in May 2006. At speeds over 100 km/h, keeping less than 30 percent of the recommended distance now results in a suspension of one's driver's license for one to three months.
* Due to legal regulations (Straßenverkehrsordnung) it is allowed to flash headlights (Lichthupe) in order to indicate the intention of overtaking, but a proper distance to the vehicle in front must be obtained. Driving at insufficient distances and flashing headlights is illegal.
* The tires must be approved for the vehicle's top speed (winter tires (mud + snow) for lower speeds (i.e. cheaper than high-speed tires) are allowed, the driver has to have a sticker in the cockpit reminding of the maximum speed).

Appreciate 0