BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2024, 09:49 PM   #1
terrykoevoetzulubravo
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i, '11; bmw r1100ss, 04

Need general advice; new to four-wheeled BMW's

Perhaps not entirely true; I had a 1970 2002 that was stolen in Albany, NY, years ago, but I have always been a SAAB guy for cars; bikes, BMW, always - right now I have a r1100s, an r1200s (from South Africa) and a G bike. Anyway, I just bought a 2011 128i, inexpensively. I do not know if it is the sport package, but I think so; if there is a definitive way to tell, please pity me and tell me. Also, everything about it is immaculate, but the front suspension...I don't know what's going on there, and the kid who sold it to me had tried to afford the car and gotten right out. So essentially it is pogo'ing, and bottoming out; clearly, issues galore. I am doing some small cosmetic upgrades, but I need suspension advice. I apologize for my lack of knowledge; oh: I split my time between NYC and Capetown, SA: this car is in the US. So, query: if you were really happy with the car with the exception of the front suspension, what would you do? Coilovers? Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 06:26 AM   #2
Murx
Rep
Drives: 130i

VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):
Decode your VIN using BMW's official website or a reliable VIN decoder. This will show if the M Sport package was included from the factory.

as a street car probably keep it fairly stock fresh dampers e.g Bilstein B4, B6 or B8
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2024, 06:50 AM   #3
cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Assuming the seats are stock (they almost certainly are), do you have the extendable thigh bolster adjustment? If so, those are sport package seats. Another giveaway is the presence of a rear sway bar. Comfort cars did not get one.

I have converted my car to sport package from a base model with fresh replacement shocks (and bumpstops etc.) and I love it. I daily the car and I'm what you'd call an enthusiastic driver. I think the factory sport suspension is damn good for what it is.

If you want better handling and find that the back end feels goofy under throttle, add some rear subframe inserts. I have the ones from 034motorsports and love them.

I also just came from a 9-3 wagon. I enjoyed that car, but the 1 feels like a major step up in every single way. Welcome aboard! You'll find many topics have been covered if you search.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 08:06 AM   #4
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Sport Package and M-sport models in the USA all have Shadowline (black) trim around the windows on the exterior. M-sport has a different front bumper, rear bumper, and black headliner inside. Either will have Sport seats and the same M-sport suspension, standard. In many cases with many BMWs (E30 M3 for example) just going back to stock sport suspension will undo poor modifications by previous owners and offer a good baseline for you. When the rear shocks went bad on my 2013 M-sport 6MT around 100,000-miles, I replaced them with the stock M-sport parts. Not what many would have done but I'd been quite content with what BMW built. My wife had a 2008 128i automatic with Sport package and the handling was it's best attribute.

As a BMW bike owner since 1971, I commend your choice in bikes and scratch my head over your Swedish affliction in cars. I started with an R50/5 in 1971 and bought a 1600 sedan in the winter of that same year. I don't think there's been more than a few months since then where I've not owned at least one of each. Just sold my 2002 R1150RS and now I'm happily an all-Airhead family and back where I find myself most comfortable. Good luck with your new 128i.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 10:22 AM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I commend your choice in bikes and scratch my head over your Swedish affliction in cars.
I hope to be proven wrong but think you're not actually responding to a real person. A number of posts somewhat like this showed up last night in a short time, from brand new members.
Appreciate 1