BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2024, 08:14 PM   #1
poopdevil420
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

135i amp got wet, speakers all messed up

I have a 2012 135i, several years ago during a huge rainstorm my amp got wet and the speakers made a horrible noise and stopped working. After a while it would turn on again but it never sounded the same. Every time it rained I would hear water sloshing around and the speakers would crackle and pop. The volume has had to be much lower ever since then otherwise it sounds horrible. It has zero bass, the drivers side backseat speaker makes no sound and the passenger side speaker makes maybe 10% distorted sound. I can't really describe how the audio sounds but it's terrible and sounds like static especially with the highs. At the time, I noticed my tail light was also full of water and the amp was sitting in a pool. Replaced the amp with another one but this one got wet too. I pulled it out and it has water spots on it (and inside the grates). Unplugged the cable from it and it's all corroded but the amp port is clean. Brushed off the plug and it can now max out on volume but the quality is still terrible, same speakers don't work, and the max volume is actually really low. I'm 99% sure I know where the leak is, it is probably the little rubber fold above the light where the water is supposed to drain down, I think there is a hole under there. I don't know anything about car audio so I don't know how to fix it or what all even needs fixing. I think the speaker cords are all behind the back headrests so they shouldn't have been compromised? Would a new amp and fixing the leak fix this?

I also have another newer leak where water is coming out of the hole that my OBD plug is in which is disturbing. It is flooding the floor when it is out in the rain. My working theory is that either the sunroof is draining down into it or the top left corner area of my windshield is leaking down into that corner.

Any advice?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0