E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No boost, limp mode, bad wastgates?

04-18-2024, 10:34 AM   #1
noidex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e93 N54 6MT

No boost, limp mode, bad wastgates?

Hi,
I've finally given up and am asking for some help.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a 2007 e93 335i with the N54. It had a pretty low price due to a faulty HPFP and me and my friends managed to replace it with some weight savings in bolts. We also swapped the OEM charge pipe with an aluminum upgrade pipe.

Now I am trying to get rid of 30FF for the last 25 days. I've now replaced all vacuum lines in my engine, some of which were in pretty bad shape. It seems to hold vacuum and when I recorded my engine bay while driving I saw the rear wastegate being actuated.
Now it seems that the vacuum system is fine.
Still, my peak boost was -0,1 Bar. (For some reason, my OBD2 reader can't connect anymore and I am hesitant to spend 90€ on a MHD monitor license.)

The car still is very slow and it uses 16,4L/100km (14MPG), it feels like 120hp.

Today, I tried messing with MHD. When I flashed Stage 0 without the wastegate rattle fix, it rattled like hell. It was ridiculously loud and I didn't even hear the turbo spool. With the fix at max settings, the rattle is gone and I hear the turbo whine but it still is slow. I can barely reach 220kmh (136mph).

I guess it is the wastegates but I don't have a vacuum tester or even car jack since I am flat broke. The car has 156.700km (~97400 miles) and still is on the first turbos.

Any help would be appreciated, this is my very first car and I underestimated how much of a pain 30FF is.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:41 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noidex View Post
Hi,
I've finally given up and am asking for some help.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a 2007 e93 335i with the N54. It had a pretty low price due to a faulty HPFP and me and my friends managed to replace it with some weight savings in bolts. We also swapped the OEM charge pipe with an aluminum upgrade pipe.

Now I am trying to get rid of 30FF for the last 25 days. I've now replaced all vacuum lines in my engine, some of which were in pretty bad shape. It seems to hold vacuum and when I recorded my engine bay while driving I saw the rear wastegate being actuated.
Now it seems that the vacuum system is fine.
Still, my peak boost was -0,1 Bar. (For some reason, my OBD2 reader can't connect anymore and I am hesitant to spend 90€ on a MHD monitor license.)

The car still is very slow and it uses 16,4L/100km (14MPG), it feels like 120hp.

Today, I tried messing with MHD. When I flashed Stage 0 without the wastegate rattle fix, it rattled like hell. It was ridiculously loud and I didn't even hear the turbo spool. With the fix at max settings, the rattle is gone and I hear the turbo whine but it still is slow. I can barely reach 220kmh (136mph).

I guess it is the wastegates but I don't have a vacuum tester or even car jack since I am flat broke. The car has 156.700km (~97400 miles) and still is on the first turbos.

Any help would be appreciated, this is my very first car and I underestimated how much of a pain 30FF is.
Yeah that code sucks. Have you looked into replacing the Boost solenoids yet? Also Try to adjust the turbo wategates rod rear. Front is lot harder to adjust. Try that. I did these 2 fixes and no more 30FF code after like 1000 miles.. Knock ✊ on 🪵.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2024, 08:17 AM   #3
noidex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Yeah that code sucks. Have you looked into replacing the Boost solenoids yet? Also Try to adjust the turbo wategates rod rear. Front is lot harder to adjust. Try that. I did these 2 fixes and no more 30FF code after like 1000 miles.. Knock ✊ on 🪵.
I guess I'll go for that, thanks!
I saw that you can put a washer between the arm and wastegate for the front turbo, I hope that works.
I've not replaced the boost solenoids yet since the rear wastegate moves and it looks like it's closing, I guess.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo1008.50
      05-04-2024, 05:46 PM   #4
noidex
Enlisted Member
Rep

I was finally able to adjust my rear wastegate! Before, when I pushed on the rear wastegate arm I couldn't feel the wastegate closing. I've turned it ~6-8 times and now I can feel the wastegate closing. I went for a drive and it definitely was faster but then...... 30FF, 2A82 and 3100... Again... I don't know what to do anymore. I tested it again and again, 30FF and 3100. Maybe the front turbo had the same issue?

But no rattle at least
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 10:39 AM   #5
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Multiple induction issues

2A82 and 30FF are not necessarily related. It sounds like you have two different problems. And I'm not sure what you mean by "some weight savings in bolts", but it sounds like you may be missing some fasteners, not recommended.

First the 30FF; You replaced the charge pipe, which has many places for leaks to develop. I would get it all as close to stock as you can and see if the 30FF goes away. If not, check all the vacuum lines going to the boost solenoids, wastegates, and across the front of the engine to the vacuum canisters. I would then look at replacing the boost solenoids, as mentioned by GoRomeo.

2A82 & 3100 are paired. The 2A82 is a VANOS intake code that will produce a 3100 as well. This could be a myriad of issues, from VANOS solenoids, dirty oil return check valves to cam ledge seal leaks. Follow this bulletin from BMW and hope one of the early steps resolves the problem.
Appreciate 1
wrevilo40.00
      05-06-2024, 12:00 PM   #6
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

You can quickly and inexpensively vacuum test boost solenoids (and beyond) with a cheap tool. The solenoids are designed to bleed rather quickly when pressurized so don't assume they're functional if they don't (many non functional new solenoids on the market hold pressure continuously). If they need to be replaced only purchase 'Pierburg'.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:52 PM   #7
noidex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG_N54 View Post
2A82 and 30FF are not necessarily related. It sounds like you have two different problems. And I'm not sure what you mean by "some weight savings in bolts", but it sounds like you may be missing some fasteners, not recommended.

First the 30FF; You replaced the charge pipe, which has many places for leaks to develop. I would get it all as close to stock as you can and see if the 30FF goes away. If not, check all the vacuum lines going to the boost solenoids, wastegates, and across the front of the engine to the vacuum canisters. I would then look at replacing the boost solenoids, as mentioned by GoRomeo.

2A82 & 3100 are paired. The 2A82 is a VANOS intake code that will produce a 3100 as well. This could be a myriad of issues, from VANOS solenoids, dirty oil return check valves to cam ledge seal leaks. Follow this bulletin from BMW and hope one of the early steps resolves the problem.
You are right, 2A82 and 3100 are paired. I rarely get them and am just going to ignore this issue, I've already cleaned both VANOS solenoids and that didn't do anything.

Before I replaced the charge pipe it was just as bad.

I recorded my engine bay while driving, I was able to see that the rear wastegate is being used. The vacuum system seems fine, I guess?

When I tried to close the rear wastegate by hand, nothing happened. I felt the resistance from the wastegate but not the wastegate closing.
Yesterday, I turned the rear WGA around 6 times and now it feels like the wastegate is closing. My car feels a tad faster but it still goes into limp mode.

Now I suspect that both wastegate arms have loosened and that the front wastegate arm needs to be tightened.

Last edited by noidex; 05-06-2024 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:54 PM   #8
noidex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
You can quickly and inexpensively vacuum test boost solenoids (and beyond) with a cheap tool. The solenoids are designed to bleed rather quickly when pressurized so don't assume they're functional if they don't (many non functional new solenoids on the market hold pressure continuously). If they need to be replaced only purchase 'Pierburg'.
I guess that is the next thing I am going to check if tightening the front wastegate arm doesn't help, since the rear wastegate arm was way out of spec I guess that the front WG might have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:53 PM   #9
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noidex View Post
I guess that is the next thing I am going to check if tightening the front wastegate arm doesn't help, since the rear wastegate arm was way out of spec I guess that the front WG might have the same issue.
Try to do a smog test to see if you have any leaks if you can? Maybe and Indy shop can do this for you?

I read the front Turbo wastegates rod is very hard to adjust since lack of room. You may have to move the frame somethjng like that I read.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 11:47 AM   #10
noidex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Try to do a smog test to see if you have any leaks if you can? Maybe and Indy shop can do this for you?

I read the front Turbo wastegates rod is very hard to adjust since lack of room. You may have to move the frame somethjng like that I read.
I tried a smog test and nothing leaked. According to https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715052 it is a pain to adjust the front but it is the last thing I can think of.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo1008.50