E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help my e90 is slowly dying

05-04-2024, 05:11 AM   #1
Black_325i
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i N52 e90, 530D F10 N57

Garage List
Help my e90 is slowly dying

Hello, my e90 325i 3 weeks ago randomly started overheating after 1 mile of driving normally and leaked coolant I think, I parked it into my garage 3 weeks ago and today turned the ignition in in it, and had abs light yellow tire pressure light, airbag light and steering light, the parking brake won't go down no matter how hard I try, when I got out of the car and tried to lock it, it didn't work. I went and got the spare key and still didn't work
The orange light was still on in the gear selector thingy so I think the battery is fine. Pls help me and tell me how to fix it, it randomly had all these electronic faults after just 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 09:24 AM   #2
Grease23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

First thing I suggest is figure out whether you do or do not have a coolant leak. There is no "think so" about this. Are you seeing coolant on the ground? Is the tank low? I'd prioritize this as not dealing with it could blow the head gasket or ruin your engine. I'd figure this out and fix it before I even thought about starting the engine. It could be something very minor.

The little orange gear shift knob light is no way to determine if your battery and/or charging system is OK. Measure the voltage from the terminals under the hood. What do you get? If the voltage is low (and it could very well be after sitting for weeks) many codes become kind of meaningless. The sensors ultimately rely on voltages and/resistance to measure things. If the voltage is wrong to begin with, then you can get lots of codes that don't really indicate anything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 01:51 PM   #3
Black_325i
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i N52 e90, 530D F10 N57

Garage List
Update: I went back into my garage and tried turning the ignition on again but no sign anywhere, battery has seemed to died and the front Is facing the garage wall so I have no idea how to jumpstart now and also, no puddles of coolant or anything underneath but was where the car was parked outside.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 02:18 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_325i View Post
Update: I went back into my garage and tried turning the ignition on again but no sign anywhere, battery has seemed to died and the front Is facing the garage wall so I have no idea how to jumpstart now...
You can charge the battery where it sits in 2 to 3 hours with a charger that charges at a rate of 6 to 10 Amps. Here is an Example (Amazon.UK) for 17 Quid:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automatic-T...s%2C162&sr=8-3

We can help IF you answer the following Questions:
1) Last-7 Characters of VIN?
2) Make/Model of Scan Tool or diagnostic software (INPA/ISTA) available?
3) Do you have a Multimeter? ~ 10 Quid Amazon. If so, what is Battery Voltage, measured at Jumpstart Terminals under Hood/ Bonnet?
BTW, the Charger linked above will read battery voltage when connected to Jumpstart Terminals under Hood/Bonnet, which is where you connect to charge.
George
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 03:20 PM   #5
Grease23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Is the expansion tank full of coolant?
Appreciate 0