E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Possible cross threaded steering shaft bolt. N54 335i.

04-29-2024, 11:28 PM   #1
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i / 06 330xi

Possible cross threaded steering shaft bolt. N54 335i.

Evening everyone. I am in a panic right now. I think I may have cross threaded the steering shaft E10 bolt.. it got really hard to turn about 7/8th the way flush.. it was smooth all the way up until than.

I am careful with bolts to prevent this, I hand threaded it a good way before just hitting with a ratchet.

I need some advice asap, I have no experience with taps or helicoils. I’ve never used either.

With it being 7/8 in obviously it’s not “correct” but would it work being how it is? If ever in an accident wouldn’t it just push inward if air bags went off and not outward with the steering wheel flying into my face?

Obviously I don’t NOT want to do that expecially with my ocd but wow man, I am at lost of words. I do not know what to do or how this even happened..
Attached Images

2006 330xi / sedan / black and saddle brown / sport, cold weather & premium / stock - mine! ( purchased 04/01/2014 )
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 06:36 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've never looked into the detail of the steering shaft, but to me it looks like you threaded the bolt in from the wrong side. Can you remove the bolt, check the threads and then thread the bolt into the steering shaft from the other side? It looks like the shoulder of the bolt (the non-threaded part just below the head) is interfering with the bolt hole.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 07:33 AM   #3
Andrewah05
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i TiAg

This ^^
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #4
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've never looked into the detail of the steering shaft, but to me it looks like you threaded the bolt in from the wrong side. Can you remove the bolt, check the threads and then thread the bolt into the steering shaft from the other side? It looks like the shoulder of the bolt (the non-threaded part just below the head) is interfering with the bolt hole.
I sure hope you’re right. Glad there are much smarter people than me on these forums lol. First time doing this job so I will go out and check when I get home and see if that’s the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 03:21 PM   #5
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So unfortunately for me I just went out and tried to unscrew the bolt.. it’s just rotating over and over and not threading out. Of course. My luck. Nothing in my life is easy, lol.

I have no experience with taps either but now I got figure out how to even get the bolt out.

Is the tap m8 x 1.25?

Any idea on how to get the bolt out? I can’t believe I over looked that you are so right on the 2nd photo showing where the bolt threads in once the head hits. I guess that’s me being exhausted after laying on concentrate for awhile and not paying attention like I should have.

Unbelievable
Edit
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 03:27 PM   #6
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

I’ll try and use a pair of pliers to grab it and thread while I’m pulling on it to hopefully get some force to grab a thread to spin out but I doubt it it’ll work. Either way I feel like I’m gonna have re-thread it once it’s out anyways.

Thanks fellas
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 03:29 PM   #7
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The bolt head is in the threaded section, so you will probably have to pry it out with a flathead screwdriver, while simultaneously loosening. Just put pressure on the head with something wedged between the bolt head and the shaft housing. Once you engage the threads again, it should come out the rest of the way normally.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 03:36 PM   #8
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG_N54 View Post
The bolt head is in the threaded section, so you will probably have to pry it out with a flathead screwdriver, while simultaneously loosening. Just put pressure on the head with something wedged between the bolt head and the shaft housing. Once you engage the threads again, it should come out the rest of the way normally.
Ok, will try this.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 07:38 PM   #9
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG_N54 View Post
This worked, I am forever grateful for you and Efthreeoh(sp) I was panicked.
I am curious if there is a torque spec regarding this bolt. I am going to look around. I just have it hand tight right now don’t want strip or mess anything up it didn’t look like 50skid in his video put much pressure on it when he tightened it.

Thanks guys. Again, extremly grateful for everyone that’s Ben guiding me and helping me throughout this nightmare of a job. I am not a newb when it comes to wrenching but this job on jack stands is definitely one of the tougher ones I’ve done/doing. Going to see if I have enough time this evening to put the rest of it back together.

Forever grateful 🙏
Appreciate 2
BRG_N54310.00
Efthreeoh17427.50
      05-01-2024, 08:17 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneykickin View Post
This worked, I am forever grateful for you and Efthreeoh(sp) I was panicked.
I am curious if there is a torque spec regarding this bolt. I am going to look around. I just have it hand tight right now don’t want strip or mess anything up it didn’t look like 50skid in his video put much pressure on it when he tightened it.

Thanks guys. Again, extremly grateful for everyone that’s Ben guiding me and helping me throughout this nightmare of a job. I am not a newb when it comes to wrenching but this job on jack stands is definitely one of the tougher ones I’ve done/doing. Going to see if I have enough time this evening to put the rest of it back together.

Forever grateful 🙏
Glad we all could help. Go easy on the torque. Once the bolt stops turning its close to spec.
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54310.00
      05-01-2024, 11:39 PM   #11
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad we all could help. Go easy on the torque. Once the bolt stops turning its close to spec.
Yeah, I just did a slight slight turn maybe 1/8 turn after was threaded in all way.

Thanks again brother.
Appreciate 2
BRG_N54310.00
Efthreeoh17427.50
      05-02-2024, 03:32 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneykickin View Post
Yeah, I just did a slight slight turn maybe 1/8 turn after was threaded in all way.

Thanks again brother.
It's all good
Appreciate 0