F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Inexpensive custom heated steering wheel maker recommendation
ARMA SPEED

05-08-2024, 01:26 AM   #1
SharpDrives
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M-Sport

Inexpensive custom heated steering wheel maker recommendation

Hey guys, just figured I’d throw this info out there for those like me who were/are looking for a custom steering wheel with heated functionality.

The popular options like Royal and Aza were out for different reasons:
  • Royal wouldn’t do a flat steering wheel with heat
  • Aza wanted $1100+

So I was scrolling through eBay and found this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27471254680...mis&media=COPY

So I reached out and asked if he could do custom materials / customers and he was happy to, nothing was out of reach. I opted for a grey center stripe, flat bottom, m stitching, leather sides, Alcantara top and bottom.

The wheel was ready a few days after I ordered and was shipped. It took a little over two weeks for it to arrive in the US from overseas.

Once I had it in hand, I have to say, I was blown away. Let’s be real, for around $500, you don’t expect perfection, but I gotta say, I’m shocked. Materials are on point, the Alcantara is buttery, the leather is thick and supple. Is it absolutely perfect? No, but I won’t lie, whatever small crinkles on the back of the wheel there may be will be gone from my mind from tomorrow. For all intents and purposes it’s outstanding value. I’m super, super pleased.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-12-2024, 02:54 PM   #2
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

They're getting cheaper and cheaper, however a refurb will always be expensive because you're paying for a trimmers time, knowledge and materials. The trouble with heated wheels is the wiring mesh will have degraded and fused itself onto the fabric, you have to spend a lot of time picking it off, cleaning down the old adhesive and then resizing your new fabric to accommodate for it; all whilst not destroying it.

The other day I spotted the OEM MP V2 wheels are now available for around £300, the Chinese factory that supplied BMW with theirs are now selling them off.. presumably they're out of contract.
      05-12-2024, 03:13 PM   #3
SharpDrives
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
They're getting cheaper and cheaper, however a refurb will always be expensive because you're paying for a trimmers time, knowledge and materials. The trouble with heated wheels is the wiring mesh will have degraded and fused itself onto the fabric, you have to spend a lot of time picking it off, cleaning down the old adhesive and then resizing your new fabric to accommodate for it; all whilst not destroying it.

The other day I spotted the OEM MP V2 wheels are now available for around £300, the Chinese factory that supplied BMW with theirs are now selling them off.. presumably they're out of contract.
Yeah I would have bought one of them immediately, but I really wanted heated. I’m super pleased with the one I got.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 09:10 AM   #4
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

this looks like it has OEM heating element which I rarely see on aftermarket heated wheels. that's the most important factor for me for a wheel replacement, I find the aftermarket wheels that make you splice in the heated function to be absolutely half-assed.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 10:03 AM   #5
SharpDrives
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
this looks like it has OEM heating element which I rarely see on aftermarket heated wheels. that's the most important factor for me for a wheel replacement, I find the aftermarket wheels that make you splice in the heated function to be absolutely half-assed.
Yeah, quality was excellent, lots of attention to detail
Appreciate 0