F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 11 / 12 /13 HU discussion
Studio RSR

05-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #485
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murzik View Post
I did try as you suggested. Still got update failed...
Any other ideas? What is the proper way to reset unit to factory settings?
You could just try OTA recovery installation described here. Maybe that will work... personally I would leave these units as they are and never pay any attention to these update. A good launcher is all you really need.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 09:59 AM   #486
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
You could just try OTA recovery installation described here. Maybe that will work... personally I would leave these units as they are and never pay any attention to these update. A good launcher is all you really need.
Did you meane reanming file to Ksw-R-M600_OS_v-ota-reset-data_factory.zip ?

If so. my unit did not react on that at all.

The reason why I am tring to update. Is the hope that issues with google location services maybe resolved in never version.

Unfoirtunately so far I was not able upgrade or even downgrade. Getting "update failed " no matter what I do.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #487
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you meane reanming file to Ksw-R-M600_OS_v-ota-reset-data_factory.zip ?

If so. my unit did not react on that at all.

The reason why I am tring to update. Is the hope that issues with google location services maybe resolved in never version.

Unfoirtunately so far I was not able upgrade or even downgrade. Getting "update failed " no matter what I do.
That should be it. Did you rename your USB stick to _kswota_?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #488
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That should be it. Did you rename your USB stick to _kswota_?
Yes, I did. Did not work :-(

But in that case, just no reaction at all. Like usb did not contain update file at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #489
masanada73
Rep
Drives: 14F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohid View Post
hi my friends
i have f30 2013 cic (6pin) head unit
i want buy android 11 head unit 10 inch
please tell me which brand you used or you suggest to me ?
and i don't know i should plug in aux for sound or no:
You should buy the NBT version, your car has a CIC-High or NBT HU.Even though the OBD says HU_CIC, it is a NBT head unit.
If the LVDS connector has 6 pin it is a NBT.
Also, CIC was on F30 until 2012, from 2013 to 2016 was NBT.
If you buy a CIC model aftermarket HU you will receive a 4 pin LVDS cable and will not work on your unit. The 2 additional pin on NBT is for Power…so i believe it will not power on your unit.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #490
ChristopherJZ
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Hi everyone. I have a 2015 RHD F36 with NBTEVO pro nav. I'm looking to replace my screen with an android version. Can anyone recommend a seller in EU/UK or reputable from AliExpress etc. I'm looking for an android 11 6/128 or 8/256 with a 10.25" screen, I think the 12.3" may be too big, but I would like higher resolution i.e. 1920*720. I've looked on xtrons website but they only have the 1280*480 version.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 02:04 AM   #491
Granrey
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F02 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherJZ View Post
Hi everyone. I have a 2015 RHD F36 with NBTEVO pro nav. I'm looking to replace my screen with an android version. Can anyone recommend a seller in EU/UK or reputable from AliExpress etc. I'm looking for an android 11 6/128 or 8/256 with a 10.25" screen, I think the 12.3" may be too big, but I would like higher resolution i.e. 1920*720. I've looked on xtrons website but they only have the 1280*480 version.

Thanks
You can try Navifly on Aliexpress. Reasonable support, and the devices are legit.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 08:21 AM   #492
Granrey
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuno View Post
I managed to update the firmware 1.8.6. Curiously, after system recovery and initialization, I plugged in the OTA update USB and it was recognized and completed.

Hi, I am also having the issue of "Update Fail!", just like some other contributors here. I am also running the KSW overlay. How exactly did you solve this? What do system recovery and initialization entail?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 09:24 AM   #493
tj320dgt
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherJZ View Post

Thanks
I bought mine on Aliexpress from PengGPS. They messed me about on delivery, but the device was legitimate. It did take a few weeks to deliver before Christmas and they charged a whack extra for delivery after I ordered it - which was very cheeky.

It is, however, the RHD version (I had to specify that explicitly) though and I bought the 12.3 inch top of the line 8/256 GB Android 11 version, total price was comparable (or better than) other suppliers that I had seen on there. They did respond to my messages, but more to placate me than accelerate delivery. It is your call whether you use them, message them about delivery and costs before hand if you do.

I found this forum a few days ago and have since managed to upgrade the firmware to 2.0.9 (the latest), thus fixing a Zlink version related bug I had, I have also got KswOverlay working, with my own car picture. I also have Android Auto working wirelessly. I still have a bit of an issue with incoming phone calls that I noticed today, but that could be config related. I am going to try and fix that now. It's not bad right now. I posted some screenshots yesterday if you want to take a look. I've attached one here with my own car picture and template from RedEric (thanks).
Attached Images

Last edited by tj320dgt; 05-18-2022 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Typos and picture
Appreciate 1
Kri1083.50
      05-18-2022, 12:40 PM   #494
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granrey View Post
Hi, I am also having the issue of "Update Fail!", just like some other contributors here. I am also running the KSW overlay. How exactly did you solve this? What do system recovery and initialization entail?
Yeah, exact reset steps would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 03:59 AM   #495
Granrey
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, exact reset steps would be greatly appreciated.
Do you also have the KSW overlay on your device?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 04:02 AM   #496
Granrey
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj320dgt View Post
I found this forum a few days ago and have since managed to upgrade the firmware to 2.0.9 (the latest), thus fixing a Zlink version related bug I had, I have also got KswOverlay working, with my own car picture. I also have Android Auto working wirelessly. I still have a bit of an issue with incoming phone calls that I noticed today, but that could be config related. I am going to try and fix that now. It's not bad right now. I posted some screenshots yesterday if you want to take a look. I've attached one here with my own car picture and template from RedEric (thanks).
Thanks for all of your detailed feedback! Did you have KSWOverlay installed before you installed the updates?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:26 AM   #497
tj320dgt
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all of your detailed feedback! Did you have KSWOverlay installed before you installed the updates?
Hi, no I did not have KswOverlay installed when I did the updates. I installed it afterwards. I can see that you can disabled KswOverlay - I guess you may have tried that already? Good luck! I am still trying to get someting that I am happy with. Phone calls, particularly incoming, seem a bit hit and miss.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:46 AM   #498
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
tj320dgt Granrey KswOverlay doesn't affect the update process. It's just a system app and it gets erased during update.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 06:18 AM   #499
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Do you also have the KSW overlay on your device?
No, I don't.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 07:00 AM   #500
Granrey
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Alright, so it seems that KSW Overlay is not related to the "Update Fail" issue...
I am asking Navifly for help, but so far they just keep repeating the steps of the standard update procedure. It's always so hard to make them understand my issues. Seems they don't carefully read any of my comments
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #501
nobuno
Private
Rep
Drives: 535I 335I

Quote:
I sent a PM! I wish you success 😊
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #502
Granrey
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Just to share with those who have the "Update Fail!" issue, Nobuno sent me the below instructions. I will try in a couple of days and report back.

There seems to be no problem with the update. In my experience, the ksw overlay seems to get in the way of the update. First of all, please follow this procedure to make it Shipment status. (Current apps will disappear. Please install again.)
1. Select "System Recovery" on the system version screen. (Be sure to select System Recovery from System Info. Be sure not to reset from the factory settings that require a password.)
2. After that, the system screen will be set up to the factory default automatically.
3. After the automatic setup is complete, try updating to the new firmware. This procedure should complete the update without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #503
orb_weaver_24k
Rep
Drives: 2018 B46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeo85 View Post
Completely agree. These have so much more potential than they deliver.

Coming from an MMI box to an android screen was a disappointment.

All the young lads in the forums I’m in are living these units and think they’re amazing. Even OEM feeling. I don’t feel the same. They’re handy for long journeys but certainly not OEM feeling and the saddest thing is that these could’ve been so much better
So from this it seems like someone in my position (no carplay in the VIN) should just upgrade the screen to OEM 8.8 and stick with the NBT EVO and not bother with the andriod unit and/or carplay at all?

Would you guys not recommend the android 10 unit or the 11?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #504
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb_weaver_24k View Post
So from this it seems like someone in my position (no carplay in the VIN) should just upgrade the screen to OEM 8.8 and stick with the NBT EVO and not bother with the andriod unit and/or carplay at all?

Would you guys not recommend the android 10 unit or the 11?
Most people here would recommend Android unit, I wouldn't. It's a very cost effective system if you're coming from CCC, CIC or NBT ID4. Anything newer than that and Android, in my eyes, is completely pointless. I guess if you must turn your screen into a tablet, watch every streaming platform there is and install every app know to mankind, then Android is your best pal.

However if you have NBT EVO with touchscreen, you will lose that OEM touchscreen functionality, significantly reduce the quality of your screen, potentially experience audio issues, if you were hoping to have any of Android info shown on the HUD you will be greatly disappointed, and you will experience dozens of inconveniences - some very small, some big.

Every EVO unit can have CarPlay retrofitted and even have a very limited Android Auto functionality via 3rd party app. There are groups, forums, people who will be more than happy to help you what that retrofit, and they won't charge you 500$+ for that... which happens to be the cost of a decent Android unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 03:47 PM   #505
tj320dgt
Rep

Quote:
Most people here would recommend Android unit, I wouldn't. It's a very cost effective system if you're coming from CCC, CIC or NBT ID4. Anything newer than that and Android, in my eyes, is completely pointless. I guess if you must turn your screen into a tablet, watch every streaming platform there is and install every app know to mankind, then Android is your best pal.

However if you have NBT EVO with touchscreen, you will lose that OEM touchscreen functionality, significantly reduce the quality of your screen, potentially experience audio issues, if you were hoping to have any of Android info shown on the HUD you will be greatly disappointed, and you will experience dozens of inconveniences - some very small, some big.

Every EVO unit can have CarPlay retrofitted and even have a very limited Android Auto functionality via 3rd party app. There are groups, forums, people who will be more than happy to help you what that retrofit, and they won't charge you 500$+ for that... which happens to be the cost of a decent Android unit.
I am sure you are right. My car didn't have touchscreen and I now have Android Auto Wireless with this, which is nice. The rest of it is a solution looking for a problem in my view. However, it isn't exactly out of the box - lots of niggles. It can be fun fixing things and tickering - so long as it doesn't get out of hand. This seems like a good community.

On the tickering front, I just tried this, which I know you are aware of. It looks pretty good:

https://idrive.ibus-app.de/index_en.html

It was going well, until I realised you probably need to buy the IBUS APP to fully populate it, but then again do you need to? It's probably overkill, but then again where do you draw the line.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 03:47 PM   #506
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just to share with those who have the "Update Fail!" issue, Nobuno sent me the below instructions. I will try in a couple of days and report back.

There seems to be no problem with the update. In my experience, the ksw overlay seems to get in the way of the update. First of all, please follow this procedure to make it Shipment status. (Current apps will disappear. Please install again.)
1. Select "System Recovery" on the system version screen. (Be sure to select System Recovery from System Info. Be sure not to reset from the factory settings that require a password.)
2. After that, the system screen will be set up to the factory default automatically.
3. After the automatic setup is complete, try updating to the new firmware. This procedure should complete the update without any issues.
I was able to update after reset.
Appreciate 0