05-22-2005, 06:25 PM   #43
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmerd
Don't worry to keep the clutch in while stopped, it will not wear out your clutch. I think the confusion is with the fact that when you are driving (at any speed), a lot of people hold there foot on the clutch pedal, this is something you should avoid, the only place where your left foot should be during driving is on the floor otherwise indeed the clutch will wear out. The other thing you shouldn't do is to hold your hand on the stick during driving. If you do this it can cause damage to the synchromesh rings in the transmission so best thing is to keep your right hand on the steeringwheel.
Shifting back to first can be done during driving (transmissions nowadays are made to be able to handle this kind of actions) however it is not advisable (and not necessary) to do it at "high" speed. I only put it back into first during driving when the second gear is not able to smoothly pick up speed again (which is at very very low speed (say max. 10mph!!).
You seem to know a lot.
I found some reasoning to put behind my previous statement. Your other info is nice to know and new to me, but I was correct before in what i was referring to. The reason, I'm told, that one shouldn't hold the clutch in while stopped for a long period of time is because even when your foot is pushing the clutch pedal, the flywheel and the driveshaft(are those the two things that go together that the clutch pedal controls? I just took it from someone else in the thread.) aren't completely apart like one might think- they're actually rubbing eachother slightly which causes excess heat.
I don't know if this is right, does anyone know for certain how these things word inside as opposed to "the way they were taught" like me and most people in this thread.
Appreciate 0