Thread: Manual E90 help
View Single Post
      05-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #39
itsmerd
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E90 and E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackman
I've always heard this wears out your clutch very fast- if you're going to stop, put it in neutral.
That seems to be everyone else's advice in this thread so far up until that guy, so now I'm confused.
Does anyone know for sure? I don't know very well how a transmission works mechanically, I'm just going by what I was always taught/read to do and not do.

On a sidenote, I've also heard one shouldn't go into first gear unless the car is stopped or very close to stopped, and that it's bad for the tranny to shift into first while going, say, 20mph. Is this true?

Don't worry to keep the clutch in while stopped, it will not wear out your clutch. I think the confusion is with the fact that when you are driving (at any speed), a lot of people hold there foot on the clutch pedal, this is something you should avoid, the only place where your left foot should be during driving is on the floor otherwise indeed the clutch will wear out. The other thing you shouldn't do is to hold your hand on the stick during driving. If you do this it can cause damage to the synchromesh rings in the transmission so best thing is to keep your right hand on the steeringwheel.
Shifting back to first can be done during driving (transmissions nowadays are made to be able to handle this kind of actions) however it is not advisable (and not necessary) to do it at "high" speed. I only put it back into first during driving when the second gear is not able to smoothly pick up speed again (which is at very very low speed (say max. 10mph!!).
Appreciate 0