View Single Post
      05-25-2005, 11:58 PM   #49
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by riku
People are taught different methods in different countries. I learned to drive in the UK and I was taught to put the car in neutral and the handbrake on when at traffic lights. This is because if someone bumps you from behind your foot will come off the clutch and if you have the car in gear then you'll hit the car in front - who will then bump the car in front etc. If there's someone crossing the road in front of you then you'll have a big dent in your bonnet too.
That's funny... My friend from the UK told me that over there if you try to cross the road in front of a car (and there is not a red light for the car) they will run you down before letting you cross. Here in the states, we (usually) yield for the silly pedestrian even if they don't have the right of way. (If for no other reason, it is less bloody than being "right" and running them down). So it is amusing to me that they place such an emphasis on putting on the handbrake on in neutral at a traffic light in the UK. My friend from the UK certainly doesn't do this. It seems like it would take distracted drivers an extra 5 seconds or so to get going again when the light changes. This would make me want to run into the back of them!
Appreciate 0